My Free Verse Poem

Jun - 06 2012 | By

Lately in Literacy/Writing, we have been learning about different types of poems. Each pair has been assigned a type and must research it then present to the class, who then writes one of that type themselves. I am researching Sonnets, which a will do a post about once I have presented, and will also do my own one. But now, I will present my Free Verse poem (Zac and Jia-Yi) to you. A Free Verse poem is a poem that has no rules, so it doesn’t have to rhyme or have particular syllables, stanzas (verses) or lines. It is totally free choice. Mine is about even though bad things happen, great things also happen, so enjoy these good things.

Blossoms may bloom,

Roses may open,

Lions will hunt,

Coyotes will bite,

Blood drips,

Bones grind,

Words are written,

Songs are sung,

Yet butterflies still soar,

Kittens will cuddle,

Leaves still wither,

Bark still peels,

Seeds are sowed,

While saplings mature.

Blossoms may bloom,

Roses may open,

Flesh will tear,

Guns will fire,

But birds still still soar,

Lords of the sky,

The wind’s gentle wheeze,

Scatters Autumn leaves,

Smoke smothers,

And flames devour,

Thorns prick,

Flowers sweeten air.

Blossoms may bloom,

Roses may open,

Earth will shake,

Volcanoes will erupt,

Sky is sliced by wings,

Waves lap shores,

There are last breaths,

And tears of grief,

Puppies are bouncing,

Pigs are snorting,

Murder is commited,

Music is played,

A comforting breeze,

Pine-cones fall.

This is paradise.

Copyright 2012

1. stlukes says:

Hi Chloe it is Braden I loved that poem I hope ill here more of your wonderful expressive writing!

2. Mrs Yore says:

Chloe…this is an especially touching poem…deep, moving, reflective. I was so happy today when everyone just wanted to keep writing poetry. Bit of a teacher’s dream, really. I think poetry comes so much from the heart. Look forward to what’s coming next…
    Mrs Yore

3. Deb Egan says:

Hi Chloe
    What a wonderful piece- thoughtful, free, touching the emotions!! You have a wonderful way with words and have captured the essence of a beautiful poem in that – my imagnation took off with each new turn of phrase! Thanks for sharing your writing- l hope you keep exploring your wonderful gift!

4. Mrs Gridley says:

Great work Chloe.
    This is a wonderful poem. I love the way that you have embraced the freedom of this style of poetry. You included so many strong visual images. Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem and I hope that you continue to delight us with more of your creative writing.
    Mrs Verona Gridley

5. Mrs Bellesini says:

Very touching poem Chloe, it just kept on flowing and flowing. Obviously many of the things you mentioned have touched you in some way. Well done.
    Mrs Bellesini 🙂

6. Chris McDonald says:

Hi Chloe
    What a fantastic example of free verse- a delight to read – wonderful things to think about – well done

7. Hi Chloe,
    Firstly thank you for your quality comment on our blog. It is so exciting when students visit and leave a thoughtful and encouraging comment. Secondly I think your poem is amazing. Very thought provoking – creating so many pictures and images in my mind. That is what it is all about – taking others on a creative journey with your words.
    Mrs Kennedy

8. Cheryle Luzza says:

Chloe, you are a poet! All your words collide with each other, creating so many images. I look forward to the next one.
    Mrs Luzza

9. Mrs Clark says:

Hi Chloe,
    Poetry really touches the heart and your fantastic poem captures snapshots of different perspectives of the world around us. Great work. Look forward to seeing more of your work.
    Mrs Clark

10. maureen says:

I was taken on a rollercoaster of emotion Chloe. Just what poetry should be about. Maureen (mum)

11. chloeo says:

Thank-you everyone for your positive feedback!

12. Lizzy! says:

Hi Chloe,
    This poem really made me want to read more! You obviously have a way with words. Keep up the great work!!
    From Lizzy

Write you response